Sunday, March 26, 2006

An Unhealthy Quest for Perfection

I worry that everyone thinks I'm lazy and always making mistakes. I'm not, I know, but still I worry. The work I do is praised by my customers and supervisors, and yet they frighten me, why?

Away from work I am confronted by the real world which is deteriorating into some strange Cyber-McCarthyist "Fear Factor" camp. The Feds now want to look at our web browsing and see if we fit a deviant lifestyle suitable for harassment, imprisonment, and deniable torture.

One by one I defend my rights as a citizen!
1. I defend my right to practice my religion, free from any government standards, or faith-based legislative guidelines. My religion shall never be corrupted by any government. I say what I want, when I want, about what I want, and I defend the same rights for my neighbor, and I fight the government if they try to abridging these rights. I hang out with who I choose and discuss our government’s mistakes and pursue my representatives for answers and remedies to our grievances. Such behavior should label me a civic leader, not a radical.
2. I defend my right to own a gun, not just to repel foreign invaders, but also to defend myself, my family, and my friends from a government that no longer supports these rights.
3. I shall not quarter any soldiers who do not support all the rights listed here.
4. I shall not allow mine nor my neighbor’s house to be searched without warrant and a description of what they expect to find.
5. I reserve the right to bear witness; I will not be a ‘Nark’.
6. I will demand to confront my accuser and have a speedy trial if legal action is brought against me.
7. I will defend my right to have legal disputes decided by a jury of my peers.
8. I shall defend against unreasonable legal fines and punishments.
9. There are vast multitudes of other rights I retain and will defend for others.
10. In the end, rights belong to people, not governments, and we retain them.

I don’t think these are radical notions, and I don’t think the Bush administration should treat us like a bunch of suspects.

No comments: